TENDER NOTICE: N° 021/REMA/2011-2012 TITLE OF CONSULTANCY: CONSULTANCY FOR TRAINING IN METEOROLOGICAL SERVICES SOURCE OF FUNDING: REMA/AAP-LDCF Rwanda Environment Management Authority (REMA) is seeking expressions of interest from qualified firms to conduct training in the following areas: a) Training of Weather forecasting, Climate prediction, modeling and special warning packaging, b) Training in Early Warning and Disaster management cycle. Interested specialized firms must provide expression of interest including firm profiles and all information indicating that they…
|Rwanda Environment Management Authority (REMA)|
|Posted on: September 29, 2012|
|General Consultancy Services|
|Type: Open Competitive|
|October 24, 2012@17:00:00|
TENDER NOTICE: N° 021/REMA/2011-2012
TITLE OF CONSULTANCY: CONSULTANCY FOR TRAINING IN METEOROLOGICAL SERVICES
SOURCE OF FUNDING: REMA/AAP-LDCF
Rwanda Environment Management Authority (REMA) is seeking expressions of interest from qualified firms to conduct training in the following areas:
a) Training of Weather forecasting, Climate prediction, modeling and special warning packaging,
b) Training in Early Warning and Disaster management cycle.
Interested specialized firms must provide expression of interest including firm profiles and all information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (firm’s references, brochures, description of similar assignments, experience in similar assignments, expression of knowledge of the assignment, etc.)
The analysis of climate data undertaken during the development of the Rwanda National Adaptation Programmes of Action (NAPA) shows that the period 1991- 2000 has been the driest since 1961 and has marked the rainfall deficit in 1992, 1993, 1996, 1999 and 2000. At the same time, rainfall excesses were highlighted resulting in cyclic floods.
Recent testimony on climate change in Rwanda indicates that:
• Temperature increased with high frequency of warm days exceeding 30°C; this is likely to impact on increase of malaria and other diseases related to warm weather;
• The number of annual rain days decreased and this is likely to impact negatively on agricultural productivity as crops requires the quantity of water within the given number of days;
• At the same time the frequency of torrential rain increased with daily rainfall quantity sometimes exceeding the total monthly rainfall; this is natural disasters caused by floods including soil erosion;
• The number of dry spells during rainy season increased affecting poor performance of crops;
• In most cases we are observing late onset of rainfall and/or early rainfall cessation during rainy season and this also affect poor performance of agriculture productivity.
Considering the above observation, proper actions need to be taken to adapt various negative impacts that might be caused in Rwanda by the climate change including installation of a proper monitoring and predicting system on possible climate change impacts.
Under the above situation, GoR has obtained opportunities to establish two climate change adaptation programmes:
a) Supporting Integrated and Comprehensive Approaches to Climate Change Adaptation in Africa (AAP)
b) Reducing Vulnerability to Climate Change by Establishing Early Warning and Disaster Preparedness Systems and Support for Integrated Watershed Management in Flood Prone Areas’ (LDCF).
Under this arrangement the Government of Rwanda is seeking expressions of interest from qualified international firms to conduct the above trainings.
Objective of the Training
The objective of this training is to build capacity in:
• Understanding key points of the meteorological science;
• Practice in meteorological routine works including numerical weather prediction, climate modeling, forecasting and early warning packaging;
• Use early warning information for making decision and institutional networking.
The contact address is below:
Rwanda Environment Management Authority (REMA) Head Office
P.O. Box 7436 Kigali
Fax: +250252 580017
TEL: +250252 580101
Copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Expressions of interest must be submitted to the address above by 20th/02/2012 at 17h00. Selected firms shall be considered for “Request for Proposals (RFP)”. The RFP shall contain details of the training consultancy including the Terms of Reference.
Done at Kigali on, January 4th, 2012
|General Consultancy Services||21|
|Request for Proposal||7|
|Medical Supplies and Equipment||4|
|Supply, Delivery of Office Furniture and Equipment||4|
|Provision of ICT Consultation Services||3|